Saturday, September 1, 2018

I Have to Swallow to be Conscious?


When I opened my eyes I was made PVS. I presumed that was because I wasn't talking or moving. Movement started some 2-3 months after my injury and vocalization was 8-9 months after injury. Speech production was so late that it was thought that I would never talk. I need to add this to The Order of Coming Back.

A few years later I am moved to another hospital. This is my sixth placement. My diagnosis is changed to Semi-Vegetative because I'm vocalizing. I am put up front for visitors. "They put Angela in a wheelchair right in front of me and told me I could start playing. While I played Angela said to me, " I used to play that song on piano." I was shocked that she was able to speak and carry on a conversation...." Read the part from David S. http://thoughtfulveg.blogspot.com/2012/02/angela.html

I leave that hospital for my own home. I am not discharged, but care is transferred to family. Before leaving, I actually argued with a nurse I'm not vegetative.

Years later I'm given a swallow study at my local hospital. Again - the test was done before when I had pneumonia, and a second time when the government stopped providing the formula for the feeding tube. The test was also done years ago at the rehab hospital. I swallowed to my lungs not my stomach. I remember the rehab used red Jello. The Jello came out my nose. 

I didn't swallow for these other tests and remain Semi-Vegetative. Now the rehab diagnosed dysphagia after the first test. Dysphagia is an inability to swallow. The later testing should have occurred after therapy to determine effectiveness of the therapy. Instead testing has been used as a determining factor in providing services, and this last time... as punishment? To use it as a means for stopping nourishment is only punishing and abusive. If you thought the Terri Schiavo outcome was bad, I am aware and can speak. She probably only had limited awareness but then you get into what I believe is going on. For that you will have to look into neurogenesis. I've previously written about neurogenesis. Here's a few:  Neurogenesis Is a Process, Stop Calling It a Coma, The Problem of Neurogenesis, My Late Recovery. I've written much more. You'd think I've written a thesis.

So you have to swallow to be conscious? I don't swallow and am not conscious.
___________________________________

If you want to watch a pretty girl eating a lollipop, then 


The whole thing is 15 minutes of the girl eating a Blow Pop and then blowing a bubble. I know because I skipped through the video.

Now I avoid Blow Pops because they have gum and they are big. Dum Dums, a smaller lollipop, are more my size. I also like some of the all natural vitamin lollipops. You have to look around. I need to work on swallowing and not licking. Gum is not meant to be swallowed. I want the lollipop small enough for lip closure around the candy.

Speech therapists did your training ever focus on just swallowing or only speech production? One told me both. I'll work on moving the lollipop in my mouth with my tongue. I especially pay attention to my weaker side. I will specifically place the candy on the weaker side. I will not keep it there for the duration, but I want this area exposed and stimulated. Children won't do this.
___________________________________

I have some lollipop videos, but they are more than just eating a lollipop.






No comments:

Post a Comment