Monday, May 21, 2018

Stop Calling It A Coma!




She wasn't in a coma for 20 years. She was MCS, Minimally Conscious State. Since when is MCS a coma?

Here is the longer video,


In this title, the woman was asleep for 20 years.

__________________________________


Look at the condition of her body. That is due to not receiving intervention for 20 years. There are things that can be done to prevent that leg from hiking up, or her head being bent to the side which seems to lead the whole body into being lopsided.

When you look into my background, you find out I worked in Early Intervention. I had settled in the "Early" part because I wanted to work with babies, but I had to learn development of the whole lifespan.

There are things that could have been done with this person's body before it had deformed. Proper positioning and simple range of motion could have kept everything symmetrical and moving.
__________________________________

 I say not to refer to this as coma. I am in this "coma." Since I am writing and my IQ is so high, I am making this look ridiculous. I'm not in a coma. I meet the same conditions as her, though.

Just so you know, this featured woman passed away, but the treatment she received is typical for MCS.

What I think is going on: The wire doesn't exist for rewiring. This lengthy process, sometimes 20 years, is the body growing a new wire. It's making a new neuropathway.   -NEUROGENESIS

Go to me, as I am documenting this as best I can without the biological information. You see I have slow progress in photos and writing samples. That is growth!

__________________________________

MCS is where it can mostly be seen. This is the "Minimally Conscious State" and consciousness is slowly emerging. Consciousness is strong enough to be seen by others, but the individual is not yet 100%.

It happens with PVS, but this probably is the pseudo-coma. The person appears to be in a coma, but really there are thoughts racing in the mind. The body shows no outward reaction.

You get to my diagnosis and everything gets messed up. My diagnosis is "semi-vegetative." I was trained to say that in the hospital. That term does not exist as a diagnosis when I look it up. I originally was PVS. I was probably really in that pseudo-coma. Instead of being made MCS, the V for Vegetative was kept and "Semi" was added. My consciousness was emerging.

It was thought I'd die and I was released home. That's the shocker. I didn't die at home. The surgery I had at Stanford took away my pending factor of death. I and my local doctors possessed the necessary skill and knowledge to keep me alive. Hospital super-bugs were more likely to kill me. 


I looked just like the woman in the video when I left that hospital. Like she soon did, I also was expected to die. Instead my consciousness continued emerging.
__________________________________

It gets difficult for me to predict what will be next now. All along I have stated there must be a secondary undiagnosed condition that allows me to write.

I now see this condition taking over.



This has been a chameleon...
it changes when you thought it was done.



2 comments:

  1. Hey, Angela! For many years now as a therapist, I have told people with brain trauma that I think it is never too late. Current medical thinking is if you don't get return in a year you never will.

    I disagree. I have seen many people get improved function years post injury.

    However, the really key factor is to move, move, move the affected body parts. The nerves and muscles in the body are not affected by brain injury. It is the brain that is affected and the body cannot be controlled properly.

    If the body is moved, as in exercises, the messages will go up to the brain. A lot of movement, lots and lots of repetitions, send lots and lots of messages up to the brain. Those messages have to go somewhere!

    I completely agree with you that you are creating new neural pathways in neighboring areas of the brain that surround the damaged areas.

    Move the body. Lots of reps. Send those neural messages up to the brain! Demand a response!

    Note that I do NOT say the individual has to move their own body parts. Passive range sends messages, too, although it is always better if conscious effort is part of the exercises.

    ReplyDelete