Sunday, August 26, 2018

Closest to Mine



I had a brain injury, but I am smart. I once told someone that I should be "mental mush." People have a hard time understanding that a brain injury can make you smart. It's very rare,  but a brain injury can make you very smart.

Here is Jason Padgett's story.



Now his story is the closest to mine, from the brain injury to now. Before that it was like Doogie Howser and Malcolm in the Middle in childhood. Young adulthood doesn't have anything, although I suppose that if a young Doogie had dropped out of school, went to his local community college, and did psychology instead, you might have something. Oh yeah, Doogie would have to be female and have to have a couple of kids.


Doogie Howser
High School was 2 1/2 years for me.


Malcolm  in the Middle
 I was smart but fit in socially.


I had a stroke not a mugging. It was caused by a blood vessel in my head leaking blood, not the clogged arteries warned about. I also had very low blood pressure. So this is rare and unusual.

I had a bleeding (hemorrhagic) stroke.

Substitute a story for a picture. Jason Padgett sees geometric shapes and will draw them out. I will write, mostly about my experience, but there are a few other things out there. Jason is Pythagoras to my Shakespeare (Remember school?).

I will try to include neurological concepts. I've experienced so many that it just fits that I put them in my experience. My life story becomes a learning experience.
 
My brain injury happened the same year as Jason Padgett's injury, but I am not studied. My injury was much worse. My heart did stop. I wasn't breathing. It can be said that I died. Stop right there. A lot of people thought I was dead. When I came out of a coma, I appeared brain dead.

Surgeries were done that I wasn't expected to recover from. I did. It's been a long time recovering. I currently am "semi-vegetative." Technically, vegetative is still a coma. The eyes can be open, but recovery is not there, yet.
 
I'm still not done, but I write now. I WRITE. Obviously, I'm not brain dead. I'll most likely also go back to school. I'm not at that point, yet. So I don't make plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment