Saturday, August 27, 2016

To-The-Point


Anne-Marie LaMonde wrote the following about me. I'll try to address some of it.
Permit me to say that to get to know Angela requires a bit of sleuthing (since Angela's thoughts are parsimonious albeit incisive since she only types with one finger).
Angela suffered a massive brain bleed that put her in a coma, followed by "Locked-in syndrome." She has been listed as PVS (Pervasive Vegetative State) or Semi-PVS (since even the bureaucracies are cognizant that they are not communicating with a "vegetable"), she continues her quest to have individuals pay attention to the following:
(1) the pernicious manner that the law chooses to define PVS and the horrific unfolding of a court decision that arose around making that definition a matter of life and death.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Schiavo_case
(2) the fact that her profession prior to experiencing a brain bleed/stroke gave her knowledge that was significant for her to make a recovery
(3) the "Thoughtful Vegetable" is tongue-in-cheek and informative for those of us who want to understand the brain insofar as plasticity and neuro-regeneration is concerned.
(4) she performed her own rehabilitation because the State wrote her off as a vegetable
(5) she is a savant (a condition that can occur after a brain injury) that only gifted neurologists who know her well have been able to recognize (save for those of us who converse with her often)
From my perspective, Angela is a great source of information. She's funny, smart, blunt, and has a wealth of knowledge you and I could only dream of having...she's someone to pay attention to and I would dearly love to be able to help her directly. But so far...I am just a schlepp who is gaining a lot of insight from her. Thank you Angela <3
Keep fighting!

First the word "parsimonious."
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/parsimonious
I am very short and to-the-point. Anne knows I'm this way in print because I am typing this all out with one finger. My voice isn't always clear and consistent. Dictation is out. I'm left with using this one finger. It gets tired.

Some said I was in Locked-In Syndrome way back when this started. Many now say I had to have been. Sounds like misdiagnosis to me. Funny, what's on paper is the same. Nothing there has changed.

I don't think PVS, or just Vegetative State, is a disorder of consciousness at all. That definition makes everyone working in this field a magician. There will be horrific cases like the one Anne stated above (the Terri Schiavo case). It is a neurobiological disorder. It is remedied when there is rewiring. Wiring may not exist and there are problems. PVS is a problem of biology and solved with science. Make it esoteric, like it is now, and you get witch hunts where innocent people are put to death.

"Tongue-in-cheek" brings the following essay to mind, http://thoughtfulveg.blogspot.com/2011/07/learned-non-use.html
No one would ever think to put that example with that term. (I have since learned there is another person who plays guitar with his feet. Now there are two people.) The things I come up with are off the wall, but pertinent.

Last, Savant Syndrome is not proven. I'm "not conscious" so how can that be? I'm only talking and writing after a brain injury when I shouldn't. It "demonstrates profound and prodigious capacities or abilities far in excess of what would be considered normal." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome


There are a few other things, but you be the judge. In that last video, where did I learn sign language? I said there were other things.




That looks like American Sign Language and NOT the reflexive hand movements it was said I was doing.

How do I make videos? Where did I learn how? Where did I learn sign language? How do I speak?

No comments:

Post a Comment