Thursday, June 13, 2019

Reasons Why I'm Vegetative


I don't think reasons 2 and 3 are valid.
-Angela 7/24/2019




1.  I was in a coma. I didn't speak.
Initially, I was in a full-on, eyes-closed coma. I wasn't expected to wake. Family members have said they were told that I was brain dead. This meshes with medical records. Records do not say "brain  dead," but use the term "decerebrate." 
After 5  weeks, I slowly opened my eyes, one eye at a time over days. Around this time I was moved to a different hospital. I did not speak. I started making sounds months later. Speaking like I do today has taken  years.  
Persistent Vegetative State, or just vegetative, is what I was given. It is still a coma, but the eyes are open. 
   
2.   My speech isn't understandable.
I moved to different hospitals and care homes. There were two care homes, one was licensed and one wasn't. Both had the same owner. There was also a sub-acute long-term care hospital. That place actually got indicted. 
I communicated wants and needs with nurses and staff at all these places. I pointed, shook  or nodded my head, and used a word or strings of words. The strings of words got longer with time. I was understood... until it came to diagnosis change. Then, "Who knows what she is saying." I started writing.

3.  I don't swallow barium.
I clearly write. There is no mistaking ideas or intent.


Some other reason had to be found to keep the word "vegetative." Now I am  vegetative because  I don't swallow a spoonful of barium mixed into applesauce. 

I probably don't have a full swallow yet. I close off my airway so I can have lollipops. I know that these things can teach swallowing. I'm In no hurry.

Why is the government trying so hard to keep the word "vegetative?" This has never happened before. No one has gone straight from vegetative to conscious. Of course no forms exist.

Some way my case will have to make it to whoever makes the rules.

______________________________





Speech seems to be tied to cognition. I don't have to speak to write these essays. My true cognitive essence is seen.



Throughout the music video there are movie clips 
where a man thinks but does not speak.




3 comments:

  1. You are remarkable! Does your family intercede for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm not in the hospital, but on one of my father's properties. I could not afford rent elsewhere. Family members do what they can. While in the hospital, my mother visited weekly. One sister took custody of my children. My mother handled the legalities and fees. Each role has been different. I guess you could say I coordinated most of it. I don't know how. I was so out of it.

      Delete
  2. Dear Angela, I'm a very good friend of your father. I was also a best friend with your Aunt Diane. I sang with her in high school in a trio called the Viclindee Three. All this being said...I wanted to extend my friendship to you. You have to be an extraordinary woman! Your father has told me about what you have and are going through...but it's amazing to hear it from you. Oh..another interesting item is that I rented the home that you now live in for a few years when I moved back to Merced from Hollywood. I will certainly visit you if I get back to Merced in October...our 55th high school reunion. I live in the Denver area. Thank you for sharing your story.. Love...Vicki (Vogt) Lindoerfer.

    ReplyDelete