Wednesday, August 5, 2020

I Can't See Your Mouth



The NPR story on masks helped me put it together. I have been lip-reading all this time- even now. I know that sounds absurd and I need to explain.

The mask covers the mouth. You can't see lip movement and facial expression.  I must be using facial cues to communicate. The world is in the middle of a pandemic and every one  is covering their face!



This photo is from NPR.
There is a cut-out and clear plastic is inserted.




Where did I come up with the idea that I was lip-reading..... 


Dr. Nicholas Schiff describes a patient and a 
problem with determining consciousness.


I was looking for videos on Persistent Vegetative State (PVS) vs. Minimally Conscious State (MCS). I found a video of a doctor describing his patient. She wasn't altered consciousness, but she had Central Auditory Agnosia and she was using lip reading. I filed this away because I knew I was conscious.

You can see the importance of being able to see the mouth. Not all people need this.



No comments:

Post a Comment