Thursday, April 16, 2020

Behaviors in Severe Brain Injury



Which Behaviors Are First to Emerge During Recovery of Consciousness After Severe Brain Injury? Robert Demichelis II


There was an article on alcohol intoxication attached to this question. I didn't include it. A severe injury is not like a mild or moderate one. Alcoholism is less likely in the very severe due to mobility issues.  Alcohol is also banned from care institutions.

From my browser, "Severe brain injurySevere brain injury is usually defined as being a condition where the patient has been in an unconscious state for 6 hours or more, or a post-traumatic amnesia of 24 hours or more. These patients are likely to be hospitalized and receive rehabilitation once the acute phase has passed."

 A person with a severe injury may never leave the medical setting. It's common for a wheelchair or gurney to be used. Gurney patients usually don't live long. Patients who do leave usually have family or friends involved in medical care. (I still have a nurse, and it's almost 18 years after the stroke.)

Return of consciousness has not been documented in the severe brain injured that were deemed vegetative (PVS). I differ with this opinion. I've been in the care facilities. There are severely disabled persons that appear to have regained consciousness, but cannot communicate. I type this with one finger. I am not conscious by diagnosis. I do not swallow on given tests. 

Behaviors aren't too hard to control in the severely disabled. Crying and laughter are common from what I've seen. This man cries.



To note, this man died soon after. 

I think those that have recovered, died, or were so disabled that they couldn't communicate. I haven't died and I slowly communicate, but I haven't recovered on paper either.




No comments:

Post a Comment