Wednesday, February 5, 2020

No Research



I was a consistent responder like Scott Routley. I waved my arm around like indicated in the video. 






Scott Routley passed away in September 2013.


I didn't speak back then when I had a stroke. I had a severe stroke. It should have left me dead. I did have to be resuscitated in the beginning of the stroke. My heart stopped during surgery. I already was on a ventilator because I stopped breathing much earlier. I didn't breath on my own for months, but there are machines for that.

Eyes-closed coma was the first 5 weeks. After that it has been an open-eye coma. "Vegetative" is a coma with the eyes open. I am in a coma as I write this because I do not  swallow barium for a barium swallow x-ray. (Writing is years after my stroke.)

I moved my left arm after the stroke. That was the arm that was rehabbed. I could move it consistently. I used it to communicate 'yes/no.' I remember using that arm to make the shaking 'T' sign in sign language for 'toilet.' Nurses responded by giving me the bedpan. That was the sign used in school by non-verbal kids to go to the bathroom.


I didn't make any sound until close to the end of my first year after the stroke. 



My insurance ran out and I was let go. I still qualified for the government medical program, but that is very basic. It only has to keep you alive. Building you up to full potential is out of the question. Private insurance and private pay do that.








I'm not a fancy-schmancy millionaire.


This is how I didn't make it to further research. I needed insurance and I didn't have it.


I did it my way.



I taught myself to talk, not how to swallow. I didn't know I was supposed to. The lack of swallow keeps me vegetative. I also taught myself how to type. I learned the ins and outs of the internet.  

All the while other skills returned. I saw little use for a government program. I could communicate enough to be understood by family and loved ones. I had the medical training to keep a person alive. I could also rehabilitate a young child in some ways. I made the move for home and have been doing it my way since.
___________________

I say I had no insurance, so I didn't make it to research. A person can make it to research, but it is extremely difficult.

Are you in an area of research?

You have to be hitting a researched area. This can mean getting selected 6-12 months before you even hear about the issue. You'll need to be psychic to depend on this.

Are you nearby?

You can't be studied if you are not there.

Most important....


WHO IS PAYING?


____________________________





RESEARCH


There's government. That's most prevalent here in the US. This country is only second on the list in spending on research and development. We're right behind China, but the US then spends more on research per person. China's population is extremely high.

Funding for government research seems  about right. Private sector numbers are harder to find. This is an area that still needs improvement, but I see it coming.


A

strong, dynamic and sustainable basic research enterprise is but a foundation for progress. For the goals of our society (a vigorous economy, strong national defense and a healthy populace and environment) to be realized, a private sector capable of translating scientific discoveries into products, advances and other developments must be an active participant in the overall science and technology enterprise.

The U.S. has always been blessed with a vigorous industrial sector.



I outright belong to Brain Health Registry out of San Francisco. More on them and to join can be found at 

From Facebook, 

The Brain Health Registry - led by top medical researchers at UCSF and other leading scientific institutions - is a groundbreaking web-based project designed to accelerate clinical trials seeking treatments for Alzheimer’s, Parkinson's, depression, PTSD, and other brain disorders. Participation is safe, easy and free. Go to www.brainhealthregistry.org to sign up today.




To a lesser degree, I have kept in touch with the researchers at Stanford University that did my final brain procedures and surgery. I recently increased this.

As time goes on, you will hear more on me.


1 comment:

  1. my name is Gdgudu i from france living in US, I would love to be your friend if you don't mind, i need a good relationship, I lost my wife some years ago as a result of cancer, I decided to search here on blogspot on the process of my searching I came across your profile so i decide to add you hope you are not angry about this? THIS MY HANGOUT gdadugug@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete