Sunday, March 24, 2019

My Body Was Cold


When I read the initial medical records, it said I had been treated for hypothermia. This is when your body temperature drops below normal. You  usually die. You freeze to death.

I'd joke with people I know that I must have been left out in the snow. I was met with seriousness. This did not happen. Geesh! Can't anyone take a joke?

I suspected that my body was cold because I had surgery. 

Recently I watched the following show. At the very end (2:44:08), a woman who had an aneurysm had her body temperature dropped below normal for a surgery. I had an AVM. It is also a blood vessel malformation. This body temperature drop would have occurred in me, also.
 



 The body is so cold during surgery that
the patient is dead.


My heart stopped.

Records didn't say how long I had been without a heartbeat. It only said "resuscitated." Since I didn't initially respond, I can see why my family was told that I was brain dead.

Brain death didn't stick. I have been slowly getting better. It is slower than timelines. By the time of the first hospital's finished report, I had gone from brain dead to vegetative. I write now, but I didn't 15 years ago.





No comments:

Post a Comment