Sunday, November 12, 2017

It's How You Use Your Memory


"Knowing HOW to access information is more important than memorization. The computer can hold the facts, but you hold the computer." http://thoughtfulveg.blogspot.com/2016/03/making-it-fit.html

The following was posted in an on-line group. Eben Alexander III is an author and neurosurgeon. Dr Alexander writes, "Memory is not even located in the physical brain, but accessed through it (as is fundamental consciousness itself). Neurosurgeons have suspected this for decades -- it is the giant white elephant in the room. All of those neocortical resections and never an ounce of disappearance of memory. Damage to hippocampus merely prevents conversion of short term to long term memory. Never has any such ablation/resection resulted in loss of definable memories. Failure to locate memory in the brain is one of the final nails in the coffin of reductive materialist neuroscience -- all this and much more explained in our new book, Living in a Mindful Universe (Rodale Books, 2017), co-authored with Karen Newell."

Now I think I'd have to have some memory, or I'd be reaching for a dictionary to spell every word I write. I'm going with the fact that I have brain cells. http://thoughtfulveg.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-postulate.html The government has me labeled as a vegetable and therefore I don't have brain cells for thinking. I only have brainstem for my heart and lungs.


We are capable of performing amazing feats, but I'd rather look up a phone number, than memorize an entire phone book. In this way, I only have to remember how to use a telephone book.

This becomes the reasoning to develop writing. If not, we go back to the beginning of civilization and depend on oral stories to be passed down. "Without writing the flow of ideas halted shortly beyond the source. The importance of writing stems from the fact that writing is the primary basis upon which communication, history, record keeping, and art is begun." http://home.utah.edu/~u0404503/PDF/School/Power%20Points/why_writing_is_so_important.pdf

The human accesses memory in this way.  Memory becomes a tool for use.




No comments:

Post a Comment