Saturday, September 16, 2017

What Is Recovered?





This is me and supposedly I am still not recovered. My diagnosis is now semi-vegetative. I disagree with government officials. I am not recovered to them, so your answer would be “no.”
 
I disagree with them. I am obviously communicating with you. That means I have some movement. I do with my left arm. I’m using my left pointer finger to hit each key to type this to you. They say I don't swallow like I used to. This is true. I don't swallow.



I do speak some, but at times can be unintelligible.




I rely on typing things out to be understood.

It becomes what “recovered” means. If it is “back to their old self,” then I am not. If it means “able to communicate and provide some care”, then I am. (I provide care by saying what to do. It’s like talking a plane down when there is no pilot.)


My stroke was in Dec 2002. What is occurring in me may not occur in others.

 ___________________________



"Talking a plane down when there is no pilot" takes a lot of cognition and skill. I already had some of this. The line between Congenital and Acquired Savant Syndromes becomes blurred in my case. It may just be that my brain injury (Acquired Savant Syndrome) is enhancing what I already had- a lesser Congenital Savant Syndrome. I say lesser because most did not know of me, but what I did was amazing for one person.







Now you have this which is EXTREMELY amazing.

Having something amazing is not new to me. "I'm used to the dropped jaw," as I will say.



"Here I go, playing the star again
There I go, turn the page" 



No comments:

Post a Comment