Friday, January 13, 2017

Celebrating the Weird



"But one doctor questioned Maggie’s diagnosis and arranged for her to be transported to Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City. There, she was enrolled in a clinical trial aimed at understanding how the severely injured brain recovers. While using high-tech imaging to assess brain activity, doctors asked Maggie a series of simple questions. The responses showed, without a doubt, that Maggie was still conscious. During that same visit, one of the doctors got Maggie to respond to a question using eye movement. “They told her to look down for ‘yes’ and look up for ‘no.’ When they asked her if I was in the room, there was no mistaking it, she very clearly look down,” says Nancy.
No longer labeled vegetative, but “minimally conscious,” Maggie again qualified for rehabilitation" http://www.newsweek.com/2016/05/06/vegetative-state-consciousness-brain-imaging-452747.html
 
"But before anyone can benefit from these new treatments, they must first be correctly diagnosed as having the potential to recover. “There are a lot of people out there who could be helped but aren’t,” says Schiff. “All patients should be treated as if they too have that same potential for recovery.” -True, but it doesn't happen. Read on. You will see.

So some have the potential for recovery. Hmm...that's probably me, but I now belong to the government. Now how often does government swiftly take action?

No doctor ever questioned my state. Instead I became a prized possession. A music therapist, "I was getting ready to play (in beds and wheelchairs [patients were brought in])….I wondered will these people even be able to hear music… A sadness came over me as I looked at them. They put Angela in a wheelchair right in front of me and told me I could start playing." http://thoughtfulveg.blogspot.com/2012/02/angela.html

"No longer labeled vegetative, but “minimally conscious,” Maggie again qualified for rehabilitation" http://www.newsweek.com/2016/05/06/vegetative-state-consciousness-brain-imaging-452747.html  This never happened with me. As you can see, I was put up front. I became the spokes person for the vegetative.

That place trained me to say I was "semi-vegetative" for my diagnosis. I thought this was a good thing. I didn't know it was just a morph of the words for "persistent vegetative state." I thought I was moving up from being vegetative. This was just an illusion.

People need to ask why I was left to try and recover on my own. Why wasn't I rehabbed?



No comments:

Post a Comment