Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Special Kind of Stupid



6/26/2019
There's a story behind the story.

The attached story takes place when I first started talking. Where I was at before I went there never wrote that I now talked down, n other things, like they didn't feed me. They were sanctioned n that is why I was at a different hospital after my 2nd surgery that "never happened." I gave a taped testimony to a lady from the state. I was at the "stinky" hospital 1-2 days, then I went to Stanford for surgery.

#SHTF while I was gone.

I had my surgery n went to a different hospital afterwards.  

This was 15 yrs ago n there shouldn't be any legality now. 






Renee   6:11pm Feb 27
the thing is people think im dumb when im obviosly not damnn strokes,
people can be so cruel with things they dont understand :/


People have misconceptions. I had a stroke. I talk funny; very slow. People think they have to talk  slow to me so I can understand. Not so. I understand fine. My mouth just doesn't work. Be careful. I may think you are the idiot.

A while ago, I was at a new hospital (there were many in my long stay). I was fed up by then with new staff having to learn my qualities. So I had a bit of an attitude.

I could hear a nurse outside my room in the hall.  She was talking and laughing with her friends. She came into my room and she changed. She spoke to me very slow and simple, like I couldn't understand. I was getting angry, and she continued. I was just getting angrier. Finally she finished. Lucky for her I'm a smart-ass. I said, "You must be special."

She stopped right there. "What?"

She must have been a special kind of stupid. I'll just say I was never treated that way again at that hospital.


2 comments:

  1. hello my friend Angela, Your article is very important for people to know.when i was young and in high school we had a student who had palsy and i remember some students and teachers treating her so badly,she was fully aware and "normal" (whatever that is) her only difference was speech and how she walked, she was a equal person that did not deserve that treatment from the others, i am ashamed i didn't have the courage to go slap or cuss out some of them back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that "he/she must be slow" attitude is prevalent whenever there is an output difficulty like speech for instance. My mother's English when we moved to Canada was clouded by a heavy French accent. At the age of 6, barely able to speak English myself, I was confronted with many adults who insisted that I "translate" what my mother said. It's difficult to comprehend that people are simply too lazy to do their own decoding. This was also true of my granddaughter who has a speech impediment. She took at least the first 5 years of her life to be understood well enough by strangers. My mother always felt that some people thought she was slow and my granddaughter has felt very angry with people who seem to never really try to understand her. Too many people are impatient with others and disingenuous in their attitudes. Too many people pretend they are listening (especially to children) but only attend to the first few words of a sentence (if at all) and if those words are incomprehensible, nothing will make them attend to more words. But speech is only part of the "output" problem.

    What we perceive visually is another problem. And for many reasons, the Internet is a godsend for people who no longer have to deal Face-2-Face with strangers to garner the respect they deserve.

    Thank you for continuing to enlighten us...

    ReplyDelete