Saturday, April 20, 2019

Phenomenal Recovery

Locked-In Syndrome was considered 16 years ago, but I was already PVS, vegetative from 17 years ago. Nothing was written down so any "phenomenal recovery" for me is in the garbage. - Angela 9/18/2019





I  didn't want to use the word "oppression," but darn it that word fits. The term is used in disability often. I just viewed that Capitalism views disabled persons as surplus. I disagree. A useless person is surplus.







____________________________________________





"Phenomenal recovery"



I guess the same is happening here. This person found me. This is what's going on, except I have more knowledge and memory, and this is a completely different country.

____________________________________________

I am thinking that it is very possible for a person in PVS to slip into this rare disorder. That would explain the people in coma who are found to be aware. It is not known how far this goes. That is why there has been push for Brain-Computer Interface technology. For more on BCI, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain–computer_interface


In the video, the woman describes her delusions. I thought my breathing treatments were poison. Not all treatments were bad. It was just one Respiratory Therapist in particular. I must have displayed distress as the doctor requested someone else. When that very same person came again, everyone was suspicious.


She mentions her children. Mine are my reason that I am alive. Now that they are adults, I can go on and do things like this. I've only become publicly vocal in the last few years after my youngest child's graduation from high school.



"This is a brain stem injury." Family were taught that when I was at the rehab facility. I had that will there, and I knew a lot of concepts. My BA is psychology, which is close. I lacked current medical terms and concepts. I now know about "neuroplasticity" and use the concept a lot.



She ends with "You don't know how happy I am to be unlocked." I still am in some ways. I guess oppressed is the better word.


oppress

[uh-pres]


verb (used with object)

to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism.
to lie heavily upon (the mind, a person, etc.): Care and sorrow oppressed them.
to weigh down, as sleep or weariness does.
Archaic . to put down; subdue or suppress.
Archaic . to press upon or against; crush.

I'm still vegetative. Sure the government changed my diagnosis to "semi-vegetative" back in 2004, but I want to know which part of me is still vegetative. Is it when I am asleep? Vegetative is not conscious and I'm not conscious when I am sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment