Saturday, December 29, 2018

Communicating In a Coma


I'm not as scary as this video clip,



I posted the following in a group:


Before I talked n only moved my head some, I was at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Rehabilitation. This is in the middle of Silicon Valley. It was 15y ago n Steve Jobs was amazing. I was put on a computer.

A dot of some mylar-type material that was sticky on 1 side was cut out n placed on my forehead. I controlled a cursor. It was only yes/no at this time.


I found a commercial headmouse. It even had the dot, which is put on glasses in the video. It was close to a thousand dollars! After shipping and tax it would be more.

Headmouse

 
I did yes/no games with that headmouse.


 This is not a game I played but it is to 
give you an idea. The equipment has to 
be learned, so games are simple.
I also had a brain injury. You need simple games.




The computer was stopped when I started moving a hand. Hand switches are much cheaper.


To think that I was probably one of these people in a coma that understood, and the US government lost their chance. This is very likely, just look at my diagnosis, Semi-vegetative. "Vegetative" is still a coma, but the eyes are open. You don't add "semi" when a person starts to communicate (speak in my case). That's Minimally Conscious State (MCS).

No comments:

Post a Comment