Monday, August 13, 2018

The Government Failed Me



UPDATED 8/31/2018

I am vegetative and the US government has done squat to help me. In fact, some of their policies have caused death in others. "I am vegetative" is already a red flag. The statement means an error was made somewhere.

I have Medicare. I worked for it. (For those working, look at your paystub. A good chunk of money was taken out. You are paying for Medicare and disability.) It's real insurance; lousy  but real. I have/had Medicaid. They must be broke now because they won't cover the cost of my feeding tube supplies. Medicare won't either. I have to purchase supplement insurance through Blue Cross. (This hurts financially! They stopped at Christmas time- what a present! You know I already spent my money, so I was depending on donation.)

THIS goes back to Terri Schiavo. The government does not do long-term feeding for vegetative patients. If someone is in the hospital, a different program may be paying. It may still be government, but there are different people and different rules.

This will be weird trying to explain me writing this. I'm vegetative with a feeding tube. My eyes opened 15 years ago, but I couldn't speak. I was made vegetative. (Ha! I was conscious.) Slowly I've made a comeback. I got out of a hospital. Now I write. I still have medical issues, but know how to manage them. I am not a doctor, but notably I have been a care provider, social worker, and early intervention program manager for the disabled. I don't do surgery, but know how many human body systems work.

I'm not getting any assistance, financially. My caregiver's salary is paid through a state program.  My wheelchair and bed have been paid for through Medicare and Medicaid. When I needed a new wheelchair battery, my father had to pay for it (labor can be expensive).

The federal government hasn't done much to help me. Help has come from private citizens- a company or a university might be in there, but one of these persons started it. I'd be suspicious if someone from the government showed up now.








3 comments:

  1. Sorry to read what you been through with Medicare, Medicaid and Medigap. I just hope that you will stay strong for longer years. I am happy that you get back on track, writing and become knowledgeable about managing your health and many things. Your strength reminds me of one of my mental health tips posts, you may not need it but just want to share it any way for others who are inspired by you. You can read it here: freemedsuppquotes.com/mental-health-tips-retirement. Thank you and good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete