Sunday, March 26, 2017

A Case For Misdiagnosis


Look up the definition of savant syndrome. Vegetative was given while I was in a coma. I think possible misdiagnosis occurred here. 




Savants are people who despite serious mental or physical disability have quite remarkable, and sometimes spectacular, talents. This is an exceedingly rare phenomena, although there are several well documented cases (see Sacks, 1986; 1995; Treffert, 1989), and recently the Academy Award winning movie Rain Man has led to the term savant being much more widely known. Savant syndrome is perhaps one of the most fascinating phenomena in the study of human differences and cognitive psychology. It is often claimed that, because of the extraordinary abilities involved, we will never truly understand human memory and cognition until we understand the savant. http://www.psy.dmu.ac.uk/drhiles/Savant%20Syndrome.htm

"Another form of savant syndrome is acquired savant syndrome, in which a person acquires prodigious capabilities or skills following dementia, a head injury or severe blow to the head, or other disturbances." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome


This is why I am picking on this particular disorder. I obviously have a brain injury. This can specifically be caused by a brain injury, but it is very rare. (I ruled out Einstein Syndrome. It is things like this as to why I always avoided diagnosis. Look at my history.)


"Although termed a syndrome, it is not recognized as a mental disorder nor as part of a mental disorder in medical manuals." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome


My initial diagnosis was given. I was still in a coma after opening my eyes. The type was changed. Vegetative is another type of coma. It is not conscious. Now get this...here I was staring off into space and remembering the primary doctor explaining why she was giving me the more severe of the two vegetatives (actually there is only one, Persistent Vegetative State (PVS), but  people with Minimally Conscious State (MCS) have also been called "vegetables.") There was no malice or incompetence. The doctor was deeply troubled. At least with the more severe diagnosis, I was guaranteed medical services for the severely disabled.


Another week goes by and I am definitely showing more signs of the lesser MCS, and I suspect Locked-In Syndrome. I specifically remember hearing, "Her AVM (what bled) was in her cerebellum next to the pons." Damage to the pons is associated with Locked-In Syndrome.



I made a move financially that was not expected. I filed to keep my work insurance. This can be done, but you have to pay for it. It's called COBRA. I let all my bills go to collections and I used my Social Security check to pay my insurance premium. I used my whole check for that. It's steep.

I was pretty much already dead. All my bills could go to collections. I was hospitalized. There was no rent. I had a feeding tube. Food was a medical expense. I didn't have to pay for that either.

The Center for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMIS) took off my payee so I could pay bills. They left me vegetative. This is a big error. I appeared vegetative, but am of sound mind. This is Locked-In Syndrome. 
 
Fast-forward 14 1/2 years later. I now solely use Medicare and Medicaid. There is no other insurance. AVM removal and neural repair was performed by Stanford. I had to do this as an indigent through the neurology clinic as this was not a covered expense. I now have some movement in my left arm and use my left pointer finger to tediously type out this entire essay. I am still vegetative with the government
.
I look like a person with quadraplegia and some movement. Go back to that original diagnosis. I could pay bills but I was vegetative. If I had been given Locked-In Syndrome, it could be said I am no longer locked-in. Then it could be said the amount and content of these essays are extraordinary. This leads to savant syndrome, acquired.

I go on from here. Most people did not know that I already exhibited signs of savant syndrome, congenital. I played piano at an early age. My first piano recital was at five years old. I got used to the word 'prodigy' and took advanced placement classes.


I got lost in the school system when I moved, so I left and started college at 16. An AA at 18, a BA at 19, and an MA later at 24 are all noted in transcripts. (The MA shows that financial ingenuity, math, as I could not afford a degree. The college paid me to go there.) Later occupation can also be viewed as a success. You were looking at possible savant syndrome already.


Then this brain injury hits. This is where it gets messy. Is it congenital or acquired? I do have a new skill. I didn't type with one finger before. The knowledge is old. Some of the physics may be new. That may also be old fashion common sense.


All of this really doesn't matter as the government has deemed me vegetative. I'm not conscious in their eyes.  I can only say suffer the consequences of fate. The following was said before I was born.
“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”― C.G. Jung








 

No comments:

Post a Comment