Friday, November 4, 2016

What Kind of Vegetable Should I Be?

 

Do you remember the day you were diagnosed? Perhaps you were scared, felt alone and surely you had tons of questions. Write a letter to yourself for the day you were diagnosed, knowing all you do now.


 I kind of remember that day. I shouldn't, but I do. It's one of those paranormal things. I remember the doctor saying there were two kinds of vegetative. (PVS and MCS for those of you who know what those are.) PVS was the more severe one. She felt I would get better care if I was labeled this.

You see I was already borderline. The doctor had trouble deciding what kind of vegetable I should be. All I could do was sit and stare at her. In my mind I was saying, "No, you got it wrong." I still had the AVM in my head at that time. It was due to explode in the future and I would die. That doctor wouldn't know I would have an experimental surgery to remove the AVM.

I shouldn't remember any of that, but I do. I won't write a letter to myself. What has happened has already passed. That can't be changed.


 This movie is based on a true story. 
The movie is "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly."
There are subtitles as it is in French.
Like this clip, I could only sit and stare when told.
______________________________________



There is very much similarity in my case to this other case above. That person was the editor of Elle magazine. He had a stroke. He went on to write a book by blinking one eye to a person who took dictation. He had to blink yes or no to every letter in the alphabet said for each word in the book.

The most I ever blinked out at once was a few sentences for my mother to write in a note. Writing like I do now came later after I could move an arm. I use my left pointer finger to hit keys. I haven't done a book, yet. Just these snippets. A book is in future plans, but not for right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment