Sunday, December 22, 2013

Do Vegetative People Recognize Loved Ones?


Yes.


 An article asks. http://neurosciencenews.com/vegetative-state-patients-recognition-682/

I can say yes because I am still "semi-vegetative." What ever that is! I guess it's a high-functioning vegetative person. There aren't any definitions. 

"Do Patients in a Vegetative State Recognize Loved Ones?"
If doctors could ask would they? That hasn't been my experience and I can answer that one. I've been treated like I am stupid and crazy. At the last hospital, I remember something like the doctor saying he couldn't understand what I was saying. It didn't matter though, my bleed was so terrible I was just speaking nonsense.

That is one reason I worked on getting this left arm to move. It doesn't look like nonsense when I type out what I am saying.

So yes, vegetative people recognize loved ones. Speech may not be there. All faculties may not be there. Whether or not a patient is treated with kindness, love, or indifference (and there have been many times) the patient notices. Indifference is okay. That's just someone doing their job matter-of-factually, but meanness and hatred are not!




"Don't listen to a word I say. The screams all sound the same"

No comments:

Post a Comment