Saturday, February 20, 2021

Guidelines For the Removal of Feeding

 


The guidelines go as follow:

1.  Leave in the feeding-tube.
2.  Stop giving formula.
3.  Administer the maximum dose of pain meds possible.

 


Notice I say Feeding in the title and not Feeding Tube. The tube itself provides pain relief from hunger pains. I'd keep it.

I am writing this because I have a feeding tube and I know. I am/was vegetative. Also I write. So what if I was ruled unconscious? Maybe I was then, but I am not now. That's something that is being worked on. 

So notice that I left the word TUBE off. This was on purpose. People do not realize there is some pain protection in the feeding tube. Remove this device and you open the patient to a world of pain.

I'm talking about hunger pains. Sometimes they are called "pangs." It doesn't matter to me what you call them. They are not pleasant. 


Many have heard of gastric bypass surgery. A portion of the stomach is removed. Lesser known is Gastric Balloon. A balloon is inflated in the stomach with the intent of always making the patient feel full. (If you need weight loss surgery, talk to your doctor, and yes there is a feeding tube diet.)

The feeding tube also puts a balloon into the stomach. Nobody ever sees this part, but doctors and nurses know it is there. The feeding tube has an inner tube. (Some other devices do, too.) After it is inserted, the doctor or nurse inflates the unseen balloon usually with saline. Saline is the sterile water used. It has added salt and I believe it is supposed to match the water in the body.


I like this video because it shows the balloon.
This is pediatric, so mine is bigger.


The guidelines go as follow:

1.  Leave in the feeding-tube.
2.  Stop giving formula.
3.  Administer the maximum dose of pain meds possible.


First off is leave the tube in. There is a second inner hole that starts closing within a few hours of  feeding tube removal. There is no room for changing the mind. If the hole closes then surgery is needed allover again. If fortunately there is a bit of a hole, the doctor can use a medieval looking device. My tube came out once and I know. It wasn't pleasant.

Second is formula. Formula is what goes in the tube. Who started calling this stuff food? The stuff in the hospital has been unflavored and sometimes vanilla. It's a liquid diet. There is no solid food. At home, some supply companies have offered chocolate and strawberry. I currently take advantage of butter pecan. Long ago, a company got coffee flavored, but that was short-lived.

Last is pain meds. I don't want to know what is coming. OD me. I don't want to know. (Not knowing was BS for me. I'm still not supposed to know.)



2 comments:

  1. This needs to be read by lots of people, so that people understand the situation better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, so instructive

    ReplyDelete