Sunday, April 7, 2019

I Swallow Enough for a Lollipop


"As a consequence of her brain injury, she was unable to swallow using conventional utensils, and like many Americans required nutrition and hydration by feeding tube in order to live."  https://www.lifenews.com/2019/03/29/14-years-after-they-starved-my-sister-to-death-we-must-never-forget-terri-schiavo/?fbclid=IwAR3J9S8A2Y14HpTt-XppmSMEGWlz1uXB4bFb45NpCA9FmwNTUsFv3ATjE2s



That statement could be me. I have a feeding tube. I quote Bobby Schindler. He's Talking about his sister, Terri Schiavo. She's no longer with us. Her feeding tube was taken. She was thought to have reached the end of progress.

The government cut off providing the formula for my feeding tube. So, through a medicare supplement insurance, I get my own formula and supplies. I pay for the supplement insurance and no one else does. I won't depend on the government for providing medical supplies. I don't trust them. They were going to let me die...all because I talk and don't swallow.

Now you find me with a lollipop in my mouth at most times.

 I get all kinds now.

I use lollipops to get my mouth used to having food in it again. It's been a very long time. It has been so long that some would say 'don't bother.' I say it's just lollipops. I'm not doing a whole feeding program.

Lollipops just aren't for kids anymore. Recently, a daughter gave me the following specialty lollipops,



Starting on the left, the first two are Pineapple Upside Down Cake. This is not standard fare. In the center is the jelly and the peanut butter of Peanut Butter and Jelly lollipop. This is a two-sided lollipop. Second in from the right is "The Bird is the Word" which is Fruit Loops, birthday cake, lemon curd and buttercream frosting. Finally, on the far right are two Canoli lollipops. Yes, there is now such a thing.

My next venture is a margarita lollipop. It's been so long since I had a margarita. 




_____________________


I once saw a speech therapist for a few visits. I was hoping to learn how to drink the formula in order to get rid of the feeding tube. The formula is now Ensure. So it tastes okay now. Swallowing my formula did not happen. I do not swallow enough.

The therapist thought I'd be able to do "pleasure eating."  I had never heard of the concept before, but I liked the sound of it. Now that I have lollipops I understand. Certain flavors give me pleasure.

I looked up the concept. Pleasure Eating has to do with Mindfulness thttps://www.bestfoodfacts.org/mind-your-meals/. I do know that heartburn has nearly stopped since adding lollipops. My digestive system may be working muscles I hadn't been using. I only notice one thing, though- I don't have barf in my mouth.



No comments:

Post a Comment