Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Not Fast Enough


That I am not "vegetative" anything is a big deal. What I have hasn't been a recoverable condition.

_________________________

"Their quantification of white matter reorganization shows long-distance rewiring in posterior medial cortices, possibly reflecting axonal sprouting or neurite outgrowth, maybe even related to neurogenesis " happens to be Steven Laureys describing a man who was MCS, but started talking nearly 20 years later. What he is saying is that tiny nerve fibers grew and rewired. This is most likely going on with me.

Now given my capacity for increased growth, this will happen fast in me. How fast is fast?

The above quote is based on a case that took about 20 years. 10 years for me sounds feasible.

That's half the time and can be seen as a huge increase. It is still years, though. It isn't readily picked up on. A form comes once a year in the mail asking if there have been any changes in the last 12 months. The answer is no. If it had asked if there were any changes in the last 10 years, the answer would be yes.

It isn't "Abracadabra, You are all better." This has been a process. Sure, I don't swallow yet, but what vegetative person can type all this out? I'm sorry that I'm not fast enough for you. (While I'm at it, how about some therapy for swallowing? It's called Speech. People are amazed that I talk without swallowing. I think I am articulating my vocalizations very well.)

What people want:




What people got:

PICTURES
https://www.flickr.com/photos/angelar70/albums/72157625839268830


What I believe that increased the recovery time will have to become an accepted condition (Savant Syndrome). This can then be studied. New medications and treatments can be developed for brain injury as well as other neurological diseases.

No comments:

Post a Comment